Sunday, April 18, 2010

Relay for Life 2010

Sean and I participated in the Relay for Life at USF this year, and it was a fabulous experience. He and I arrived at USF at 11:45am on Friday, April 16, to pick up our team captain, Lina. By noon we were at the track, and unloading. We had several pre-med AMSA members join us throughout the day, night, and morning, and there were so many activities that the 20 hours went by much more quickly than I expected them to. At 8:00am we had the closing ceremony, took down our tent, and loaded everything up to head home.
Lina and Sean setting up the tent.
The view from our tent at about 1pm-we had no neighbors.

Early afternoon, and the committee starts setting up the luminarias in the stands.
Lina, Courtney and Yilmarie
Our setup in the marketplace tent-Mario Bros., nachos, and smoothies.
The survivors walk, lead by the local police department color guard.

At about 7:oopm Brian brought Erin and her best friend, Ashley out to the field. Brian stayed for a couple of hours, and the girls stayed for the rest of the night and morning. Sean had Brian (far right in blue shirt) put in "jail", and he had to earn money from the walkers to get out.
Dancing! We had a DJ, and also several live bands throughout the event.
Ashley and Erin. They both won a goldfish at one of the tents.
From 9:00-9:30 the lights were turned off, and the celebration of life was presented. All of the luminarias were lit.
In memory of Brian's dad. At the bottom of the bag Erin wrote, "It will be ok in heaven"
The luminarias in the stands of the track.
In honor of Asher!
The view of our end of the field from the stands. Probably around 10:30pm.
Midnight dance party
Erin and Ashley doing the Macarena
Brian, Gumby and Lina.
Erin and Ashely finally fell asleep at about 3:30am.
Lina and Brian getting ready for the egg walk. 3:00am
Morning Zumba-lasted from 6:00-7:00am.
And finally the sun begins to rise!

Just before 8:00am I woke the girls up. Erin was sound asleep, and did not want to get up.

Sean and I slept most of the day yesterday, and Erin was in bed before 6:00pm for the night. She slept until 10:30am this morning. We've all recovered, and have great memories from the event. We will definitely be participating again next year.


The Mom said...

FUN! So awesome you all participated. Maybe you can add a team member next year... ;)

Mom said...

Wow looks like a lot of fun. When you all do this I need to remember to let you know about your grandparents who lost to cancer and Roberta who has survived cancer. Proud of what you all do.

Steph said...

Love you!

Amanda said...

You. Rock.

Seriously. You are my hero!