Sunday, January 30, 2011

Chocolate caramel cake

I was browsing the internet for a recipe to recreate the "chocolate explosion bars" from Beef O'Brady's, but came up empty handed. However, I did end up finding this gooey, decadent dessert instead, and it was a great find. I made it for us earlier this week, and then again today for the nurses at the hospital. It's a huge hit, especially if you like the combination of chocolate, caramel and nuts. The recipe can also be found at http://www.bigoven.com/recipe/161345/chocolate-explosion-cake.
Chocolate caramel cake

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 3/4 cups sugar
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
5 squares unsweetened chocolate, melted
1 cup lukewarm strong coffee
3/4 cup sour cream
1/4 cup oil

Topping:
1 package (397 g) Kraft caramels
4 tablespoons milk
1/3 cup chopped roasted pecans

In large mixer bowl combine all ingredients (except topping). Beat until
blended. Pour into greased and floured 9-inch springform pan.

Bake at 350 F for 1 hour or until toothpick inserted in center comes out
clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pan.

Microwave caramels with milk until melted; stir until smooth. With small
wooden spoon handle, poke holes into cake.

Pour in filling and garnish with chopped roasted pecans.

1 comment:

Mom said...

Oh my goodness Michelle they both look wonderful. I'm like you no cheese cake for me either, yuck! I'll be making some kind of Valentine cake for potluck next month. Haven't made up my mind what I'm going to do yet. Love you all.